About the Website
1997 - 1999
The content of these pages owes a debt to the work of Chris Webb and Matt Arnold. Matt put together the original First and Third web pages in the spring of 1997. The management of the site was later taken over by Chris who added to the site's feel and design. At the time of writing (June 2003) the Cam clubs and the Club pages contain material that has survived word for word from this first edition.
1999 - 2000
Andrew Hogley took over the site in early 1999. He rewrote the site, incorporating the older material and creating a layout which formed the basis of that used today. Although there wasn't an official committee post, he agreed to continue running his new site in a semi-official capacity for 1999-2000. Material from many of Andrew's new pages survives in the Members section and the race reports that survive have been incorporated in today's results archive.
2000 - 2002
Martin Peck took over the website in the early summer 2000, decided on the firstandthird.org domain name and created a popular design based on the Lents 2000 headship. Martin was keen on developing records of results and crews; new crews, results and gallery sections were created - although at this stage these could not be updated by members. The first of today's interactive members' features arrived in the form of Groups in the May Term 2001.
2002 - 2003
For 2002 - 2003 a new committee post, "webmaster", was created in recognition of the increasingly prominent role of the website in the daily running of the club and was filled by Jonathon Davies. Jonathon added several features to the site for use by committee members. Meanwhile, Martin's interest in a results archive continued and today's interactive results and crews sections were installed in early 2003, followed by the new photo gallery later that year.
2003 - 2004
The second person to take on the official role of "webmaster" was Iain Edwards. Iain graduated from the role of kit and social secretary and so turned his attention to creating an online kit order. He also created the extensive section on the College and town clubs in Cambridge.
2004 - 2006
Catherine Aiken was the site's first webmistress. This was a very fine period for the website, most notable for the acclaimed BumpIT bumps prediction game which she designed and commissioned.
2006 - 2008
Bryn Garrod joined Martin Peck in ongoing maintenance and support of the site in 2006. He shared Martin's enthusiasm for maintaining a complete record of the club's achievements - for example taking over from Martin the task of adding full race results. Bryn also added a number of new features - including the club's boats page and the Mitchell Cup bumps results calculator.
2008 sees the website team continuing to grow. The webmaster, James Strawson, is supported by Pedro Cunha who updated the novice rowing guide whilst Martin and Bryn continue to contribute behind the scenes.
A large number of other First and Third people have contributed to the various features; the list below could never be complete, but our thanks are owed to everyone.
- Guy Taylor: results archivist
- John Earl: UNIX support
- Mark Crawford: disasters, stomping tree, photos, bumps guide facts
- Graham Fisher (font of all trivial knowledge)
- Neil Talbott: jargon buster, The Justice, novice rowing guide
- Simon Case: The Justice
- Jon Glass: xsl know-how
- Richard Spencer: photographs
- The 395 members who have contributed results, reports, crew lists or pictures, namely Ali Abbasi, Sam Adams, Amin Ahmadnia, Abigail Aiken, Ahmad Akra, Oscar Allen, Jane Allison, Forbes Anderson, Tom Andrews, Alessandro Angelico, Ilsu Erdem Ari, Juliet Armstrong, Matthew Arnold, Julia Attwood, V.S. Backhaus, Kevin Backhouse, Rosie Baish, Narelle Baker, H. Ballmann, F.R. Barber, Luke Barratt, Alex Barrell, Lydia Bass, Charley Bates, Ulrike Bauer, Dominic Beary, Sam Bell, Christoph Bergemann, Kristina Bifani, Clair Birbeck, K.J. Birley, Christopher Black, Sarah Blackburn, Adam Blacklay, Jo Bloggs, Harriet Booker, Dan Bradley, Harry Braviner, J.L. Brown, Arnold Browne, Kate Bruce-Lockhart, Leonora Bulbeck, Richard Bullock, Matthew Byrne, Jonathan Cairns, Laura Campo, Laurence Carr, Alex Caulfield, Andrew Cenko, Matt Chamberlain, Rosie Chance, Charles Chapin, Albert Cheung, Cynthia Chi Hill, Tae-Joon Cho, Jij Chow, Ming-Chee Chung, Belinda Clarke, Beth Clent, H. W. Clouting, Tom Coker, Sean Collins, H. S. Colvin, Neil Copland, Yves Cormier, Dan Craik, Megan Crane, Mark Crawford, Rachel Croft, Matthew Crowe, Adam Csenki, Jacob Currie, Charlotte Curtis, G.L. Cuthbert, Dan Darley, Damilola Dauda, Fiona Davies, Sunith De-Fonseka, Alexander Dear, M.H. Dehabadi, Laila Dell’Anno, Aileen Dennis, Alexander Dent, Adam Dewbery, Rich Dewire, Martin Dienstbier, Tudor Dimofte, Savannah Dixon, Petr Dolezal, Adam Dougall, Becca Downing, A. R. Doyle, Honey Duan, C.S. Dunleavy, John Earl, T. Eccles, James Edgeley, Chloe Edwards, Christopher Elsby, Edward Erelt, Kerem Ergene, Angela Evans, Sam Everington, Andrew Farquharson, Jenna Farthing, Artur Fernandes, Agustin Ferrari-Braun, Barbara Ferreira, J. D. Fialko, Jim Fields, Graham Fisher, Martin Fitzgerald, Richard Fletcher, Peter Ford, Laura Fox, Daniel Francis, Charles Franklin, Julia Frieberger, Jacob Fries, Rachel Frigot, Thomas Frith, Mina Frost, D. J. Gammon, William Gao, Gonzalo Garcia, Bryn Garrod, Andrew Gayfer, Yimin Ge, Katherine George, S. Gibson, Julijana Gjorgjieva, Jonathan Glass, Oleg Glebov, Julia Gog, Maris Goldmanis, Daisy Gomersall, Stu Gooch, Mike Goodson, Andrew Goodwin, G.S.D. Gordon, C.A. Graham, Imogen Grant, Kimberley Green, John Grenfell-Shaw, Matthew Griffiths, Florian Gruessing, Henriette Guthauser, Danae Hadrill-Barratt, Amna Hadziabdic, S. K. Haigh, Phoebe Hall, Prithviraj Hallikeri, Christian Hamilton-Craig, Josh Hampson, R Hann, Edmund Hanna, Niels-Jakob Hansen, G. Harboe, W.J. Hardy, Ailanore Harper, Qiurui He, Joanna Heath, S.R. Hedley, Timothy Hele, Anne Hempel, Tim Hennock, Nicola Henshall, Leyla Hepsaydir, Tom Herbert, Hannah Herbert-Owen, Maciej Tomasz Hermanowicz, Amy Hewer, Catherine Heygate, Jos Higgins, Elizabeth Hill, M.A. Hirschberger, Zoe Hitzig, Esther Hobson, Dominic Hockley, Andrew Hogley, Daniel Holland, Isobel Hooper, Phil Horler, Tom Howat, Krisztian Hunter, Ferenc Husza'r, Neil Ibata, Chris Ingram, Jess Irving, Sam Jackson, Z-A. Jafferji, A. C. W. Jamieson, Dan Jane, Ben Jarman, Paul Jefferys, Penelope Jenkins, Mike Jenkinson, Magnus Jones, Mihkel Kama, Nina Kamcev, Steven Karp, Alexander Kasas, Justus Kebschull, Simon Keighley, Blanka Kesek, John Kiely, Tom King, S. M. Knight, Basha Kovacova, Boguslaw Krysinski, Sarah Kummerfeld, Sara Lackner, Bethany Ladd, Will Laffan, Rebecca Lancelot, Nadanai Laohakunakorn, Henrik Latter, Peter Lau, Florence Layburn, Andrew Lea-Cox, Peter Leach, Dohun Lee, Colin Leonard, Aaron Lewis, Jeffrey Li, Kevin Lim, Sam Lings, Angela Liu, Steffen Loesch, Tom Lovering, Sophie Maclean, Georg Maierhofer, Hannes Malmberg, Alex Manion, Tomasz Mantyk, Tim Martin, Paul Masset, Anna McCreadie, Oli McFarlane, Andrew McFarthing, Sorcha McGinn, Mark McKelvie, Rory McLaurin, Danny McMillan, Thomas McTiernan, George Mears, Igor Medvedev, Georg Meisl, Natasha Menell, Stephan Christian Mertes, Sophia Michael, Sonya Milanova, Jack Mills, Samuel Mindel, Reggie Mitchell, Ben Morris, Neil Morrison, Kian Moshiri, Connor Mui, Rachel Munro, Emily Murphy, Chris Mycroft, Louise Nash, Dan Newton, Michael Nguyen, Yining Nie, Keith Noble-Nesbitt, Becca North, Valerie Nunis, James O'Connor, Alistair O'Neill, Katherine Olley, Aaron Outhwaite, Rachel Overington, Sally Painter, Rebecca Palmer, Sebastian Pancratz, Vlad Paraoan, E. Parcell, Michael Parker, Preeyan Parmar, Amar Patel, Emma Patterson, Ed Peacock, Martin Peck, Chris Pedder, Geneva Peterson, Alasdair Phillips-Robins, Ludovic Pilloux, Thomas Pink, Barney Plummer, Alexa Pohl, Tony Pooley, Abby Pope, Lynsey Porter, Katherine Poseidon, Claire Postlethwaite, Xander Povey, Philipp Preiss, Thomas Price, Tera Pruitt, D.F.J. Pugh, Mabel Qiao, Vicki Rainsley, Francesca Rawlins, R. J. Reed, Danielle Rhydderch, Brian Richardson, Hannah Roberts, Peter Robinson, Julia Robson, Tom Rose, Alasdair Routh, Jake Rowe, Peter Rowley, Amelia Russell, Thomas Rychlik, Emma Salgård Cunha, Jo Sampson, Mark Sankey, Matthew Sargeant, Alex Sault, Pia Schaefer, Felix Schaffner, Oskar Schortz, Anne Schreuder, James Scott, James Scott-Brown, Richard Serjeantson, Robert Shearme, Jacob Shepherd, Jack Shotton, Robyn Sikes-Sheard, Graham Sills, Jonathan Silver, Michael Simmonds, Fergus Simpson, Olivia Skilbeck, Jordan Skittrall, Emma Smith, Tony Song, Richard Spencer, Lianne Stanford, Viktor Stein, M. P. Stewart, Harry Stockwell, Philippa Stokes, Chris Stone, Sarah Stoneman, Alex Strange, James Strawson, Rob Stroud, Andrew Sugden, Alex Summers, Alan Sun, K. Suruliz, Richard Sworder, Kirsty Syder, Alex Sye, Seema Syeda, Neil Talbott, Charlene Tang, James Tanner, Sarah Taylor, Kerrie Taylor-Jones, Erica Thompson, Will Thorne, Michael Thornton, Mika Tomczak, Florian Schuler Valentin-Schuler, Isobel Voysey, P. Wagner, Shahid Wahab, Daniel Walker, Martin Watton, Matilda Watts, Lilie Weaver, Callum Westwood, Harry Whelan, Paul Whiting, Zoe Wible, Jonathan Williams, Patrick Winter, Rachel Wolf, Andy Wong, Alex Wood, Laura Wright, Amy Wu, Ziqi Yan, Ye Yao, Martin Yarr, Matthew Yoko, Sam Zhang, and Alison Zhu
We are also very grateful to John Thompson and Jet Photographic for allowing us to use his prints. Jet is a Cambridge based company (details below) specialising in Rowing Photography.
The Cambridge Studio,
7 Boltoph Lane,