Minutes of Committee Meetings 2001 - 2002
Committee Hour of the 1st and 3rd Trinity Boat Club held on 26th November 2001 in E1 Great
Present: John Earl, Tom Rose, Anna McCreadie, Henry Clouting, Dan Walker, Jonathon Davies and Dan Jane.
Apologies: Rebecca North, Catherine Aiken, Amelia Russell and Jon Glass.
The LBCs would encourage the novice men to come to the dinner. Not very many of them had signed up which was concerning AM greatly.
The committee were meeting at the boathouse at 4pm on 30th November to clean the boathouse and people would decorate the boathouse on 1st December from 3.15.
The club photos would be at 8 am on 30th November in Nevile's Court. The women would have to first as they were racing at 9.30am.
3. UEA Challenge
The novice men were entering an VIII in the UEA challenge which was to be held on 5th December.
JD, AM and DW discussed going to France again to buy alcohol for the dinner and bop as well as the other social events in Lent term.
Committee Hour of the 1st and 3rd Trinity Boat Club held on 19th November 2001 in E1 Great Court
Present: Tom Rose, John Earl, Jonathon Davies, Anna McCreadie, Dan Jane and Rebecca North.
Apologies: Dan Walker, Jon Glass and Catherine Aiken.
.....were working and would be used at the training day in Peterborough on 24th November. They had cost £70 a pair but worked very well.
2. Fairbairn's Dinner
The committee were to meet at the boat house at 4pm on Friday 30th November to move heavy machines and ergs so that the boat house could be cleaned for the dinner. AM would find people to decorate the BH for the dinner - the WLBCs had volunteered.
Very few novices had signed up for the dinner. The LBCs said that there were more novices coming. DJ expressed a desire to sit with the women's novices. AM
said he would have to sit with the committee..
the launch was going to cost around £1,500 and it was hoped that Mercer would pay for it. JE was going to speak to Catherine Hackworth about the possibility of doing this.
RN thought that the time of the meeting should be changed to avoid clashes with her supervisions and JG's May Ball meeting.
Any Other Business
There would be a boat naming ceremony in Lent term for the new 4 but it had not been given a name at that point.
Minutes of the General Meeting of 1st and 3rd Trinity Boat Club held on 12th November 2001 at 7.30pm in E1 Great Court
Present: John Earl, Tom Rose, Anna McCreadie, Dan Jane, Henry Clouting, Jonathon Davies, Guy Taylor, Sarah Taylor, Martin Peck, Neil Talbot, Dan Walker, Jon Glass, Amelia Russell, Catherine Aiken, Rebecca North, Matthew Byrne.
Apologies: There were no apologies.
The minutes for the last meeting on 29th October 2001 were accepted as a true record.
Men's and Overall Captain, John Earl:
JE had one page which covered what he had done that term, he was going to start from the bottom and work his way up.
The major purchase for the term had been a new light IV. This had been used in the University Fours and the Head of the River Fours that term. JE anticipated that the four would not be used greatly until May Term. 'Charybdis', another four, was now being used largely as a women's boat. The next major purchase would be a leg extension machine. TR and JE were going to collect this before the term ended. The club was to purchase a launch for use on Tideway and at Peterborough, this was to cost around £1,000.
Following the flooding of the Boathouse in October 2001 JE had investigated and upgraded the club's insurance policy for the top boats which the club used for away races (BP1, BP2, Denys Lawrence and the new four). The trailer had also been insured against damage.
The boathouse insurance was managed by the Junior Bursar and under the policy he controlled boats in the boathouse were not fully insured. 'Peter Brandt', which had been damaged in the flooding was being repaired and was insured however it was JE's intention to insure all boats even if only for a part of their value so that the club would not lose a great deal of money in the event of damage being incurred.
The Men's Club
JE thought that the men had not been unsuccessful that term. At the start of the term JE had called a meeting with some former captains of the club, Peter Brandt (President of the Club) and Adrian Cassidy (CULRC) and the changes he had instituted were as a result of this meeting. The first of these was that Iain Law had been made Head Coach and would take an active part in crew selection. Another change had been to divide the men's club into 'performance' and 'recreational' squads. JE said that this had been successful so far. Novices were to stay reasonably separate from the senior rowers. At the end of their first term the novices were to choose whether to go into the recreational or performance squad. In Lent 2002 the recreational squad was to incorporate novices from Michelmas 2001. There was also to be a novice recreational and performance squad.
The men's boat club had invited many people to coach. These had included Richard Dewire, Mark Crawford, Andy Hodgkinson, Doug Bradshaw and Dan Darley.
The men's club had performed well in the University Fours races. The light four had got to the final; the 1st four lost to the eventual winners of their category as did the 3rd four and the 2nd four had got to the semi finals. In the Head of the River Fours the men had come 6th of the Cambridge college crews but had to change the crew at the last minute due to illness.
JE anticipated that he would enter a IV and two VIIIs in the Fairbairns races. He expected the men to come in the top four results.
Women's Captain; Tom Rose
Like JE, TR had brought in many changes to the women's club that term. Lance B***** from CCRC had been coaching the squad. Guest coaches had been invited to come at the weekend. These had included Val Nierlich and Hannah Cornfield. TR had been trying to have squad rather than individual boat outings. The availability of coxes had been a problem earlier in the term however he had managed to persuade more people to cox so this problem had been overcome.
'Charybdis' was being used by the women but TR was not happy with it's rigging and was going to speak to Iain about this.
TR was fairly certain at this point that he was going to enter an VIII in the Fairbairns race. The women had done well in the Small Boats Head at the beginning of term in double sculls. The women had also gone to Bedford and raced however their performance had been difficult to judge as there had been very few Cambridge colleges rowing there, Newnham had done slightly better than 1st and 3rd though. In the University Fours the 1st women had beaten Magdalene in the first round by 4 lengths but had lost in the second round to Peterhouse, the eventual winners. A IV had raced at the Head of the River Fours and had improved their margin behind Peterhouse whilst gaining a better time than Osiris 4.
(At this point there was a loud clattering noise from the direction of MB which TR chose to ignore).
JE then remembered that he had forgotten some matters in his report. These were as follows:
There was to be a Black Prince Association Dinner in June 2002 which JE hoped would be a time when people might make some donations to the club.
- Rack rents had been collected that term from various people.
- The committee met weekly. This was a new format.
(RN complained that the meeting was always when she had a supervision and JG had a May Ball meeting)
Men's Lower Boats Captains; Jonathon Davies, Henry Clouting and Dan Jane
The LBCs had 42 novice rowers and 5 coxes. They had picked four crews and said that 2 of the coxes were very good. Many people had coached the novices both on the river and on ergs and weights in the boat house. The men's novices had won the novice category at the Autumn Head, although they had been the only novices entered. In a pre-Queens' Ergo competition at Catz boat house the 1st and 3rd novices had 'trashed' (DJ) Catz and the men were hopeful of a good performance at the QCBC Ergo competition.
The novices had entered 3 boats in Emma Sprints. The 'A' crew went out to a senior women's VIII. HC thought that this may have been due to the fact that the crew in question had never practised starts and Emma Sprints is only 400m long. The 'B' crew had beated Trinity Hall and the lost to a CCAT IV which, for reasons unknown to JPD, had been taking Emma Sprints seriously. The 'C' crew had turned into a tub pair of which JPD had commented, 'they nearly won but then they lost'.
Unfortuantely for the men's and women's novices Peter Brandt had been damaged in the floods.
Women's Lower Boats Captains; Amelia Russell, Catherine Aiken and Rebecca North.
There were two novice women's VIIIs and 2 pairs. There were two good coxes. Most people in the club had coached the women's novices at some point, even AM. The novices were doing Queens' Ergs on Wednesday 14th November. At that point all the women's 500m times were under 2 minutes. Novice T-shirts had arrived and would be distributed. The 1st VIII were to get crew T-shirts and RN thought they would do really well although it wasn't clear whether this was because of the T-shirts or the high quality coaching which the novices had received.
The WLBCs had not been too upset by the demise of 'Peter Brandt' as they had not intended to use it much.
Secretary; Anna McCreadie
AM had done lots of race entry forms (Small Boats Head, Bedford SBH, Autumn Head, Winter Head, University Fours, Queens' Ergs, Clare Novices and HoR Fours) and all had been in on time except the SBH which had been slightly late although AM didn't think this had been entirely her fault.
AM had helped JE with the collection of rent money from the various users of racks in the Boat House and had organised the Fairbairn's Dinner as well as handling other general correspondence. TR and JG both objected to the fact that the vegetarian option at the Faribairns dinner was French. AM noted their disapproval.
Along with the rest of the club, AM had been very concerned by the damage to 'Peter Brandt'.
Kit and Social Secretary; Dan Walker
DW had been to France with JPD and AM to buy alcohol for the various socials that term. DW had also organised various social events including formal halls, the Bonfire party and the fresher's squash.
DW had set up the Kit and Social Secretary's account with AM and had made £120 from Bonfire Night.
DW had also ordered lots of kit for the club's members and had decided that in the future he would use 'Spartan' more in the future as they could promise to deliver within the week.
Junior Treasurer; Jon Glass
JG had bought lots of food for the lard cupboard including healthier options for members of the club who were trying not to eat chocolate. AR thought that he should have bought more toffee crisps. JG also planned to get tea, coffee etc so that people could have hot drinks at the boathouse.
JG was open to any suggestions that club members put to him about what stock to get in.
Webmaster; Martin Peck
Use of the website had expanded with 3-4,000 pages a day being downloaded both inside and outside college. The popularity of the website had risen since the demise of Peter Brandt.
Email groups run by MP had been widely used, particularly by the committee. MP was keen for the novices to use the website as a way of learning more about rowing and the club in general and getting involved.
MP said that he appreciated feedback about the website from members of the club. Everyone agreed that the website was very good and very well run.
Concern was voiced about what would happen to the post of webmaster when MP left college.
Any Other Business
JE felt that a launch would be useful for the club to use for training at Peterborough, something which he wanted to do more of. DJ asked about insurance issues and JE had investigated this and most clubs put launches on the marine insurance already used to cover boats. RN voiced concerns about using 3rd party liability insurance as it was not guaranteed to cover the club.
JG suggested keeping the launch on top of 'Peter Brandt' as a cushioning device.
JE wanted to keep the novices separate from the senior rowers until a few weeks before the Lents. This was suggested by Adrian Cassidy. The novices would do some races e.g. the Head of the Nene. HoRR and the Lents would be done in separate novice and senior crews.
TR expressed concern that having totally novice crews would cause problems logistically, particularly at off-Cam events. JE said that Adrian Cassidy thought that this was better for the long term progression of crews and made coaching more attractive. JD agreed with this.
JG thought that the overall result of this system would be slower boats. However, JE thought that the system would create a sense of progression and encourage people to carry on rowing. It was very much a long term plan.
JG expressed doubts whether there would be a big enough squad for this system to work. However, MP said that it was good to have new ways of organising training within the club, DJ felt that the system would be quite risky.
JE had decided that the men's squad would be organised in terms of 'performance' and 'recreational' squads rather than upper and lower boats. GT expressed concern as to how the management would happen in Lent term. JE said that he would manage the performance squad while the LBC's managed the recreational squad.
NT expressed a worry that this would result in keen people being 'binned' to the recreational squad and potential 'upper boat' rowers going into the recreational squad.
GT asked JG how much profit he was making, £150 had been made. JG said that he didn't envisage ever being able to sell at cost because so much stock got stolen. JG was going to bill people on the spot every time they spent over £10. The money would be used to subsidise the Mays Dinner.
(JG, ST and the WLBCs all had to go at this point)
NT asked AM why the Fairbairns Dinner was going to be £25 when in previous years it had been cheaper. AM explained that it was more expensive to have the dinner at the boathouse, as people had wanted, because there were more overheads which had to be paid for such as hire of tables and chairs.
GT asked DW why he was making profit from kit sales. DW explained that this was to pay for the fresher's squash. JE suggested running lard at a profit. GT thought that people should be told that profit was being made on kit. GT thought that social events should be paid for by other social events.
(St and WT arrived and MP left)
DJ asked about the broken erg and whether any more ergs were to be purchased. JE said that the club may purchase a row perfect but not any more.
The meeting closed.
Minutes of the Committee Hour of 1st and 3rd Trinity Boat Club held in E1 Great Court on 8th October 2001
Present: John Earl, Tom Rose, Anna McCreadie, Catherine Aitken, Jonathon Davies, Dan Walker and Amelia Russell.
Apologies: Jon Glass, Henry Clouting and Dan Jane
The men's and women's lower boats captains had been organising tubbing sessions for the novices. Sculling for novices wasn't being organised because Henry Clouting couldn't get in touch with his contact at Cantabs.
ii) ARA membership:
AR had lost her ARA card. JWE said that she just needed to fax them a letter. No-one knew where there was a fax machine which could be used. It was suggested that tutor's may let people use theirs.
iii) Senior Treasurer:
As Dr Kingsbury was away, Ruth Adams was taking over as the club's senior treasurer. TR and AM were to meet with her on 9th October to discuss the secretary's account.
iv) Formal Hall and BBQ:
DW had organised the BBQ held on 5th October 2001 which had been very successful . Novices had been admitted free of charge and 15 pounds profit had been made. DW was in the process of organising a club formal hall with Homerton. He had also booked the WPR for the post Fairbains Dinner bop.
v) Faribairnís Dinner:
The arrangements for the Fairbairn's dinner were discussed.
vi) University Fours:
Uni Fours were to be on 29th October. DW wanted to have a cocktail party afterwards. There was to be mulled wine.
vii) New 4+:
The new 4+ was to arrive on 13th October. The 4+s going to Bedford that weekend would be going on Rob Roy's trailer.
There was no other business
Minutes of the 1st and 3rd Committee Meeting 24th September 2001 in E1 Great Court
Present: JE , TR, AM, DW, CA, JPD, HC, RN, DJ
Apologies: AR (had an exam) and JG
The minutes for the last meeting were accepted as a correct record after the following corrections had been brought to light:
JPD had indeed been at the meeting.
The Captain's committee hour would be at 9pm not 9am as this would just be silly.
1. Beer Prices in France:
DW. JPD and AM had been to Calais that day to buy refreshments for the Boat Clubís social activities and it was concluded that beer in France was very cheap, app. 30p a can in some cases.
2. Access List:
An updated copy of the list would be sent to a Alex Hucknall by JWE but AM would be responsible for he list from then on.
The possibility of buying a pair was discussed. TR would carry on negotiations for this, the estimated cost was around 1,500-2,000 pounds.
4. Any Other Business:
Boat Club Squash:
The BC squash would be at 5pm on Monday 1st October in the Junior Parlour. The committee was to meet in E1 at 4.30 pm. It was decided that a TV was needed to show rowing footage to potential novices. Pringles were suggested as food for the squash. Following on from this DW asked JPD if he would take him to the Cash & Carry, JPD kindly agreed.
The committee considered asking TCSU to pay for use of the BBQ however they decided against this.
The Chaplainís Squash was to be held on Sunday September 30th at 8.00pm, it was arranged to meet in E1 at 7.15 so that the BC would get a good spot and get lots of novices. At this point the committee did not know where the squash was to be held. DW would find out. This was followed by a long and very enthusiastic discussion about what to wear at the squash.
Dr. Kingsbury would be around from 3rd- 5th October but was going away the following weekend for what was thought to be a long time. DW needed to get the charity number of the club so that he could open the KSS account. No-one had it, DW was going to contact Dr. Kingsbury.
JWE had issued a number of rules relating to the treatment of equipment and members of the club which the committee felt needed discussing. TR suggested trying to condense to around 10. JWE felt that specific equipment rules should be kept separate from other rules. It was felt that the sheets on the walls of the Boathouse were sufficient for letting people know what to do with equipment and that the rules didnít need to be on the website. JWE had made a summary of the rules so that future committees could see what how the club had been run in past years. D.J. felt that this was unnecessary and that people could be relied upon to pass on information from year to year however JWE and DW felt that the rules should be written down so that people would know exactly what the rules were. The discussion was to continue by email so that the committee would have time to come up with ideas, AM would write a summary of these ideas. It was considered that fining members for damage to equipment would be discarded as it would be very difficult to enforce however the committee agreed that extra money for coaches would be very useful.
It was decided that boats needed to be washed every few days and not after every outing as had originally been suggested. The inside of the boat only needed to be cleaned monthly. Iain Law had requested this. Committee members were asked by JWE to help implement this rule when they were able to do so however the captains would remain ultimately responsible. In the case of lower boats (novices in particular) the L.B.C.s would tell the crews when they had to wash the boats. JWE felt that boats which got heavy use by novices such as Titan should be washed 2-3 times a week. The L.B.C.s would supervise this.
The next committee hour would be on 1st October 2001.
Minutes of Meeting of 20th June 2001, held in I4 Neville's Court
Present: John Earl (JE), Tom Rose (TR), Anna McCreadie (AM), Dan Walker (DW), Henry Clouting (HC), Dan Jane (DJ), Amelia Russell (AR) and Catherine Aiken (CA)
Apologies: Rebecca North and Jon Glass
1. Creation of an Executive Committee
JE had looked into the possibility of creating a long term executive steering
committee to deal with spending and other long term matters affecting the general
direction of the club. Simon Case had originally suggested this. The committee
would be made up of past captains, the boatman, the present captains, the senior
treasurer and any interested bufties. This committee would take some power away
from the main boatclub committee.
DJ said that this problem could be overcome by making the exec. committee purely
advisory. JE said that this was a possibility. DW asked why we needed an extra
committee to plan long term issues. JE gave the example of Downing B.C. who had
an Exec. Committtee to plan the building of the new boat house. TR still wasnít
convinced about the idea. DJ was very vocal about this and thought that there
should be lots of liason between the committee and the exec. committee, DW
questioned how this would work. JE made the point that there was a great potential
to mis-spend money if the students were the only ones in charge but DJ said that
FaT was a student society and therefore the students should be in charge. JE said
that all these problems could be overcome with good organisation.
TR felt that there should be a greater female presence on the exec. committee as
JE had only mentioned one woman (Emma Wilton). TR suggested that Clare
Gardner would be a good person to ask.
DJ asked who would decide the composition of the committee, he was concerned
that too much change would prevent the exec. committee from being useful as a
long term body. JE said we could prevent this by only changing one person at a
time as they do on the C.U.L.R.C. committee. DW said there should be a fixed
number of people to ensure it was a coherent body.
2. Committee Organisation
JE felt that there should be three committee meetings per term one of which should
be open. JE was going to have a surgery hour at 9 a.m. on Mondays so that the
committee could come and tell him what they were doing. A.M would draw up
minutes for these meetings and distribute them to the whole committee. There
would be a meeting at the start of every term to discuss events, races etc.
JE suggested that the Michelmas training camp should be off the Cam possibly in
Marlow as C.U.B.C. had been there. The camp would run from the 23rd to the 29th
of September 2001. This meant that the committee would not be in Cambridge for
the week preceding the start of term. It was felt that this could be a problem. JE
had spoken to lain Law who had said that he would sort out boats etc. in
preparation for the novices. HC said that we could book rooms for the BC squash
via people who were in Cambridge over the summer. DW asked if the training camp
would be for lower boats. JE said no. TR said that going away for the training
camp could be a problem as there would be a lot of triallists who would not be able
to make it. CA asked whether getting coaches would be a problem at that stage in
the year. JE said it wouldnít. TR thought it might clash with officials day but JE had
asked Simon Blackburn about this and he had told him that it would be later.
DJ had spoken to Antony Leyton-Thomas about the freshers handbook. He felt it
was going to be a problem finging positive things to say about the Mays. JD said
that he should focus mainly on the performance of the 4th mens VIII. JE suggested
a photograph of the 4th VII with the caption ĎThe May VIIIí. The committee were
unsure whether or not this was a joke.
JE said that the open meeting would take the form of an open surgery hour as DW
had asked what the nature of the public meetings would be.
2a Relevant Tangent
JE then said that he thought we should have BC cocktails. Simon Knight couldnít
organise them because he was doing Dev. Squad. JE suggested Friday evening
but this was a problem for the 1st women as they were going to Henley the next
day. Thursday was then suggested and Jesus Green was suggested as a location.
DW and JE had a big discussion about how long in advance you needed to book
rooms for events in college. DJ said that if we had the cocktails on Jesus Green
then cricket should not be played as it scared him. TR said that this would not be
the case if it was played with a plastic ball. JE said we should have football. Talked
about going to LCBC cocktails but it wasnít known whether Lucy Cavendish had a
BC. TR said that they did and described their blades and Lents performance. It
was felt that they were not very good.
3. Kit and Social Secretaryís Account
DW wanted to set up a separate account for the use of the KSS or have access to
the JTís account. The possibility of using the secretaryís account was discussed but
TR said that this couldnít be done as the secretary could only write ten cheques a
month as the account was run as a charity account. (Simon Case came in and
wrote a cheque to TR). DJ suggested that kit money could be used to pay for social
events. DW said his other main option was to get members of FaT to give cash
which they would then get back at the end of the year when the KSS had made a
profit. The option of getting a float from the JTís account was also discussed as JG
had said that he was going to make a profit this year. DW was going to go to
Barclays and sort out an account after he had spken to JG and Simon Knight.
4. Any Other Business
The committee needed to sign a sheet for the library photocopier.
AM was going to write up a list of addresses and telephone numbers so that the
committeee would be able to contact one another. TR didnít know where he was
living next year.
4a Repairs and Spending
JE was going to buy a TV and VCR for the BC and a new megaphone as the BCís
had broken. This was going to cost around £250. These were to be immediate
JE said he was not going to buy a new leg press as the one FaT already had was
fine. TR said he didnít like it and that it wasnít very good. JE said that if people
didnít like the leg press then they could go to Fenners and use the one there.
The sliding doors and tiling in the boathouse were being repaired.
TR2, TR4 and Margot were all getting new gates fitted. The top boats were going to
get new shoes. AR said that the pair needed new shoes and that the shoes in
Denys were horrible. There then followed a discussion involving mainly JD, DJ and
TR about feet and the size of them which ended with TR suggesting that everyone
whould buy their own footplate and JE saying that lain would get us all bigger
The BC was going to but new sleeves for the macons as the old ones were
scratched. Two pairs of macons were also going to be purchased for the skulls.
JE suggested giving cleavers to the macons. The committee felt that the macons
would appreciate this.
lain Law had also said that a new coxed IV would be a useful addition as it would be
able to be adjusted and used as a quad for novices, lain had also said that a new
VIII would be useful to replace Mary Tudor and TR5. DW suggested selling Mary
Tudor but it twisted in the middle and TR5 had wood worm. TR had described
fumigating TR5, it was felt that this was an unpleasant process.
AM was going to get the boards in the boathouse updated, she was going to speak
to lain about this as neither JE nor TR had the phone number of the person who did
the painting. AM was not artistic enough to do this herself.
JE rang ST to ask her why she had never brought any wine to the committee
meetings. ST told JE that he had got a distinction. The committee were pleased
about this but concerned about the whereabouts of the wine.
DJ had to leave at this point as did CA who was going to do a project on cleavage.