Minutes of Committee Meetings 2000 - 2001
Minutes of Meeting of 11th November 2000
held in I4 Neville's Court
Present: Jon Glass (JG), John Earl (JE), Neil Talbott (NT), Guy Taylor (GT), Sally Painter (SP), Sarah Taylor (ST), Simon Knight (SK), Tom Rose (TR)
The minutes of the
last meeting were almost approved. NT insisted that he had attended 4
minutes at location 2 (E1 Great Court). SK had sent his apologies.
GT proved to be a
mine of both sad and useful information. He knew the number to ring
(plus the subsequent numbers required to select options) to find out
the Cam situation. He and NT had also verified that the speaking
clock is in time with the bongs on Radio 4. Guy likes the voice of
the woman who reads the messages. TR and his colleagues at work had
been amused by the woman on the Farnell (electronic component) order
line over the summer. JE emailed Jenny Maresh to find out about the
red flag and possible lowering thereof.
At this point SP arrived from a
lecture (on contraception).
We had a flier for
an interesting looking course, but TR had picked it up from Goldie
too late to apply. The clubs whose boats we transported had paid up.
JE enquired about
the situation (on Thursday evening). On Friday TR went to his lecture
and spoke to Matt Lovett (the Senior Umpire), who said there should
be forms at Goldie. TR did two hours work before going to the
boathouse, where he checked the pigeon hole. On finding no sheets, he
emailed Mr. Lovett in the evening, asking for a copy. JE considered
this not good enough. TR doesn't care, as long as the entries get in
ST did not provide
any, as she had a hangover (as did SP; all the men were fighting fit)
and felt that drinking too early in the morning was to be
discouraged. She will provide some next time.
SP rang ST. Her
mobile still has the same hideous ring. This is unacceptable.
party was a success; roughly £200 had been raised. SK had
intended to run out of things so that JG and TR would have to run to
the CoOp. £2200 of kit has been ordered. GT asked
if this was a lie. SK was shocked. NT said there are 15 mens novice
boats. ST said there were24 womens novice boats. The last two were
Things are going
well. There will be five boats, and the possibility af combining the
last novices and grads into a sixth VIII. Not much rowing has
occurred, but they are keeping/getting fit by doing land training.
Keenness still seems in evidence. The T-shirts have arrived. Queens'
Ergs will be won.
STs phone was
scratched in her bag.
There are 2 7/8 boats.
3 will be entered into Clare novices, in the hope of finding another
rower by then. They have also been land training, and achieved good
500m times. Daisy beat ST and Bridget Gildea (at this point the MLBCs
said some rude things). The 1st boat will get a separate
T-shirt from the rest.
Women's Captain's report
This report was
given by SK, who has been atbh for so much time recently that he'd
seen everything the women are doing. They are trialling for
Fairbairns. Lisa is coming back. There have been some good 2k times,
and high max. weights. RC feels bad as there are 10 rowers for 8
places, so she is going to enter some IVs.
JE wants to do
Fairbairns in a 1x. NT wants to do bumps in a 1x. He suggested that
crew order be as per the Lents, but each sculler must hit all the
others from the boat in front (ie. 8 of them) before proceeding. The
races would be held on a lake to allow people to run away and hide.
Men's Captain's report
GT still feels
safe. Trinity Hall don't; their boathouse was broken into. All the
tape is gone. The bits on the ergos
are not there. TR suggested making permanent split covers (for long
ergs), like Simon Case. SK will decide on an operation to apply to
this point (1045), JG became inna area. He had put some Fry's Creams
atbh. ST was happy. JE suggested that tuna might run out early, since
the predictions were made over a period when weights were not being
done. JG said the data for this period were ignored, since they would
have been outliers.
ST + NT think the
sheets are crap. The others disagreed. The problem is that there is
no copy in college. However, short of employing someone to keep them
up to date, this cannot be solved. JE said it gave people with tight
schedules a lockdown time to use them. SK said you can book them when
you do your previous erg. Sometimes they are booked and then not
used. The offenders should be named and shamed (or spoken to by JG
and told that they cause problems). ST asked why the model Bs need
booking. We need to ensure that 1) People turn up,
2) Offenders are battered to death, 3) They are booked sensibly. JE
suggested making the new ergs and sliders bookable even when the red
flag is down, to help people plan their week.
There is a problem
with caterers. This will be resolved asap, but we need to look
further outside Cambridge, which could be expensive.
There is a feast
in college, which might make it difficult to get porters. Also, TCSU
may try and get the WPR over our heads. JG said we could approach
college if this was a problem. SK again raised the issue of charging.
We can't have people pay on the door due to licensing laws (alcohol
will be provided inside). However, he was open to selling tickets
beforehand, plus complementary tickets to dinner guests (for which
they have to pay).
hopefully be on Sunday 28th January (the day after the
NT left 1119
0100 in the WPR,
Martin is weak and
feeble (can't remember who said that or why, but it's in the notes).
Minutes of Meeting of 19th October 2000
held in I4 Neville's Court
Present:Most people as far as I can tell (mcp)
that TR had used all the spoons. TR said they were on the draining board
fun, though life is busy. Things are going OK. We only have three IVs due to
various people binning out and wanting low commitment. There does appear to be
alot of keenness for Lent term. JG concluded his report with multiple
repetitions of the words er and um.
two IVs. Until last week there had been three, but commitment was too low to
sustain the third. There is also one person who is not here during the Uni IVs,
so she is just sculling. A good day was had at Bedford, though unfortunately no
other college sent female boats with whom to compare. Martin will hopefully put
the results on the website.
Lower Boats Report
2.5 VIIIs. Coxes are being random. The rowers are still keen; some wanted as
many outings as possible for the week. More keep trickling in. Lots of formal
halls are lined up.
Lower Boats Report
JE to spout, with only minor interjections. We have 46 rowers excluding coxes.
Five VIIIs are expected. The coxing situation is not good; we have only 5-7
coxes for both men and women. The new boat has been delayed because it is a new
design. JE hopes it will be here next week, though Iain expects more like two
weeks. The new cox boxes are here. Iain will install them temporarily in Titan
and Mary Tudor. The spare speakers and wiring will go in BP5. The new boat will
have the system from Mary Tudor. The following table summarises expected boat
1st men New novice boat
2nd men BP4
3rd men Titan
4th men BP5
5th men Fair Maid
1st women Margot
2nd women New novice boat
mentioned that Newnham wanted to borrow a boat. JE said that since we have nine
crews and five boats we are stuck anyway, so can't afford to lend them one. RC
doesn't want to help Newnham anyway! Coaching is sorted for the term. A joint
suggested, the theme being Aliens. The women objected to being called Ewoks and
Tribbles. JE explained that Tribbles hail from an episode of the original Star
Trek series. They ate grain and took up space and not much else. JG said there
was a spin off computer game. JE is clearly a trekkie and JG a techie. The
6th boat would be called LMBC since it's too mean to name a real boat
after such a heinous alien race. At this point a number of conversational
tangents were followed.
suggested getting a club T-shirt (with Mercer on it for those who don't have any
of their kit). TR suggested a reprint of "I'd rather shit...".
committee commiserates Simon Knight with his phantom illness.
We have the
best novices on the river.
have had the best W4+ if anyone else had done Bedford.
We are all
Lower Boats: Addendum
will get good 500m times on Saturday. They will be videoed. JG wishes to video
everyone. JE reminded us that MC Peck wears gloves to protect his delicate
little hands (as proved by Queens Ergs video).
report we have is a blood test.
strike has affected ARA membership cards and the cheque sent to Bedford. Other
than that things are going smoothly.
invited us to their 175th anniversary dinner. TR would like it known
that they are an upstart little club with no history at all (we are 177 years
old). We have had a cheque from the Senior Treasurer to cover most of the race
entries this term. JG verified that the flights are booked. He has received a
letter from Mercer thanking us for the tubbing session.
take the first aid kit for restocking. JG said people should buy their own
micropore tape. RC suggested getting the nurse to do a first aid / injury
prevention talk. Iain is doing a course in something useful pertaining to
health. ST said Regatta had advertised something which told you how not to
injure your back.
question was raised as to whether the novices were yet on the list to get their
cards programmed. GT had sent a list via JG for the men. ST was to do so via RC
for the women. JEs card had stopped working. It was suggested that we all have a
barcode on our head instead, and used a modified version of the lard
for allowing a Womens Lower boat onto the river before midday on Saturday
14th October was to be absorbed by the club. However, the WLBCs were
to provide a bottle of wine for the next committee meeting, as
this point in the meeting a recess was had in order to read emails
the need to appoint a club safety officer. This is to be Iain. Damages were to
be reported in the log book. One noticeboard is to be set aside as a safety
noticeboard. It will hold the ARA safety code and a map of the river. The
location of the First Aid box and payphone will be posted. Safety was to be made
a permanent item on the agenda. Hence:
SP had a
bruise on her knee from whacking into a boat in the boathouse. ST had a mark on
her head, though the origin was unknown. JGs back hurt. GT felt very safe. JG
had moved the drowned novice into the bin. The viruses (yellow sculls) were
often in the way. Coxes are to be reminded to avoid them, and they are to be
encouraged to note the rules of the river.
mention of this agenda item, JE realised he didn't know where the cutting board
was. TR suggested holding the event on the Sunday after the Lents. JG said this
would stop us holding other important events like football. The second weekend
of Lent term was suggested and generally agreed upon, provided the calendar
looks free. This will be investigated by TR and emails sent round to the
suggested buying some floor mats upon which to do stretches and sit ups. JG
raised the issue of storage. SP suggested buying roll up mats like those you
sleep on, but JG thought these would perish too easily. RC will look into the
options. Simon Case (who was chopping onions on the newly discovered board)
suggested she try Argos or Grays sports. JG said Robert Sayles seem to have
everything, including an obstacle course in the lighting
on November 4th this year (JG had last laugh; see notes from previous
meeting). This is the same day as the HoRR IVs. We therefore have the van, which
is helpful, but aren't here, which is not. GT and SP will be here and will
coordinate things during the day. Music may be offered like last year; Mike
Goodson will be approached. Mince pies should be exchanged for baked potatoes
with Catz, as is customary.
and chairs had been organised. The food is subject to finalisation, but will be
confirmed shortly and notices published.
13th November 2000. I4 Nevile's Court.
Tom Rose, secretary. 24th October 2000.
Minutes of Meeting of 28th September 2000
Held in I4 Nevilles Court
Jon Glass JG,
Rosie Chance RC,
John Earl JE,
Neil Talbott NT,
Guy Taylor GT,
Sally Painter SP,
Sarah Taylor ST,
Simon Knight SK,
Tom Rose TR
Takes place 2100 Sunday (1st). Need video and trophy blades; these from TR, JE and Will Thorne. JE has sign up sheets and will distribute to women too. Clipboards and pens are needed. We will need people in kit. Not BP kit. JG suggested marking territory with splashtops attached to the wall. JE said we should use the entrance as much as possible, with our own table somewhere else. ST said the venue may not be above the bar, as opposed to the Old Kitchens. JG thought the things we needed to do were to emphasise that we are the biggest college society, and get as many names as possible on paper.
ST wishes us to know that SP is going out with her husband and father.
JG raised the confusing issue of children, grandchildren, brothers and sisters.
Freshers will be getting CUSU cards 1500-1630 on Monday. SK has booked the Old Kitchens for 1800-2000. Squash will be from 1800-1930. JE expressed concern that they may be having dinner with college parents, but this turned out to be hearsay. SK said we are OK to serve any type of alcohol. TR will borrow a car this weekend to go and get it. JG said we should show videos of the Olympics and CUBC (with Robin slagging them off) as well as ourselves. SP suggested having photos of the social side too. JG said TR should be kept from PR. TR would like it noted that PR stands for Public Relations.
This will be on Sunday 8th October, at 1700. Football (Seniors v. Novices) will take place on Jesus Green at 1500. SP expressed concern that not many women would attend the football. NT said they could sit rund the edge and collect stray balls. The BBQ will be ATBH. It will be free for freshers, but cost £3 for seniors. Beer will be sold. The LBCs will advertise to the novices. Seniors will be notified by email.
On afternoons next week (2nd-6th), the MLBCs will use the ergos on even hours and the WLBCs on odd. Boat sharing should not be a problem as the MLBCs intend to use VIIIs and the WLBCs tubs. JE suggested a tub could be borrowed from 99s or Catz in the event of a clash in the next few weeks. JG said Homerton could use our tubs, but only if they ask first and we don't want them.
JE wants the sculls free on Saturday (7th) for novices. He enquired about funds for hiring coaches (eg. Simon Hames, Tim Granger, Bruno) later in term when the novices got better, possibly with the aim of preparing for the Freshmen's sculls. JG said they would be won by a schoolboy, and the expense could not yet be justified.
Club Formal Hall
Will be on Thursday 12th October. Novices will not be paid for.
JE does not like formal halls.
SK has spoken to Nielsen and found that it is illegal to charge for drinks, hence charging for a cocktail evening is impossible. SP pointed out that we do at the BBQ. It was suggested that if fundraising were not an issue, then we could revert to PBABSpWW and PBABV, with the committee providing other mixers. ST suggested having a bop to be different, and charging entrance for that, with free drinks. SK said he couldn't be the one to hire the room, since he has discussed it and been refused. NT suggested holding a drinking competition and charging to enter. SK said Christs held a successful cocktails at the Union, which didn't cost much more; he would investigate. If they were to be held legally in college, through the catering department, they would cost £10-15. It was agreed that we would need to know more about them before decinding on a date.
JG didn't know the date. Everyone else did. This year it is a Sunday, the day after the Uni IVs finals.
Will be got by TR with the car this weekend (with LMBCs C&C card since Sophie is not here). JG intends to eat lots this term. ST wants Fry's creams. TR demonstrated the relationship between lard consumption and 2k watt output (as proved by G.Fisher). This appears on the right.
Will be on Friday 1st December, to avoid band practice for NT, orchestra concert for TR and party for SP. It will be ATBH. ST said we should ensure the WPR is available before going ahead. JE reminded that the bop price should be included.
SP said ST should change the ring on her phone.
JG informed us that when driving up to a cliff, TR customarily left just 5 yards stopping distance. TR would like to stress that this depends on the speed he's going; 5 yards applies for 100mph and he adopts a linear scale for slower approaches.
TR was reminded to rig his election, and try and rig one for a JT. This may take place at cocktails, since then SK can sell tickets to it.
JE is to organise 9 induction sessions, from 8th-21st October. These will be at various times of day and on different days of the week, so as to cater for as many as possible. It was hoped it would cost £2 again. JG said that insurance concerns prohibit people from using free weights. It is planned to move them all into the Mays room, and restrict access to those who have done the induction course. It is hoped to exempt the bench pull from this. This term will be a grace period, but the system will be enforced next term. The arrangements are to include people from Cantabs. and Homerton.
JE has done a seat audit for the boats. GT has done one for the comfy chairs. He says there are 9. We need 3 double and 3 single action seats. See email from JE.
TR An ARA man will inspect the boathouse this term. We will need time to ensure we pass.
These have been purchased by JE. They will be paid for by various members.
The novice section needs to be written. JE suggested having a proper term calendar, specific to our club. GT said we should have the outing times for the current week. JG said we should have th ability to add events remotely. Unfortunately, MC Peck wasn't inna area, so we couldn't ask him when it will be done.
Provisionally set for 1800, 19/09/00, in I4 Nevile's Court. To be confirmed.
Tom Rose, secretary. 8th October 2000.